July 2018 Minutes

 

Minutes for July 2018 Monthly CAP Meeting

Thursday, June 28, 2018, 1:15 PM | Levis Faculty Center, 3rd Floor

 

Attendees: Brent West (1), Amy Hovious (2), Randall Sandone (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Micah Kenfield (4), Mindy Spencer (5), Carl Baker (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Brian Brauer (8), Victoria Huart (8), Rebecca Ferrell (9), George Gottschalk (9), Nancy Walsh (10), John Scott (11), Jeff Stein (11)

 

Excused Absences: Richard Gegg (1), Leslie Vermillion (3), Lisa Merrifield (6), Chantelle Thompson (7), Sol Roberts-Lieb (10)

 

  1. Call to Order
    1. Meeting called to order at 1:15 PM by Chair Hovious.
  2. Guest Speaker: Rusty Barcelo
    1. Rusty Barcelo, who served as the Visiting Special Assistant to the Chancellor for Diversity, presented on the Office of the Chancellor’s efforts to address diversity, equity, and inclusion concerns.
    2. An external review of current campus diversity efforts was conducted, and a report was submitted to the Chancellor in 2017.
    3. The full external review report is available on the website for the Office of the Chancellor. One of the most critical areas of growth noted was how siloed and decentralized campus’s current diversity efforts are.
    4. A search is now underway to hire a Vice-Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to head an office that identifies and pursues opportunities for education, reconciliation, restoration, and cultural transformation with regard to bias and discrimination against any group or people.
    5. Q&A
      1. “What is the organizational structure of the new office, and which specific areas are involved?”
        1. Existing efforts from ODEA, Legal, and HR to review and ensure compliance with campus policies will continue.
        2. Community development efforts will be expanded.
        3. New efforts to engage with underrepresented students from Pre K to 12th grade will be added to help build a pipeline for a more diverse student body.
      2. “Is there a place with more information about this?”
        1. Yes, a website with full information on upcoming efforts will be launched after the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has its first retreat.
  • “Is your office looking at how to help search committees have better visibility on making sure candidate pool is diverse?”
    1. Yes, advertising positions online isn’t enough. This office is working on this with HR to help broaden and increase the diversity of applicant pools.
  1. “I’m chairing an ad hoc committee looking at harassment and bullying. Is this something the review has touched?”
    1. Many of these issues fall under existing Title IX enforcement.
    2. There will be a Critical Conversation on Workplace Harassment and Bullying in the near future.
    3. Efforts to address harassment and bullying need to be proactive, not just reactive in handling issues once they escalate.
  2. Public Comment
    1. No public comments.
  3. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes
    1. Carl Baker moved to approved; Betoel Escobar seconds. Approved unanimously by voice.
  4. Chair’s Remarks
    1. The Chancellor has cancelled his September visit, but we are now rescheduling this.
    2. We have a few elections during closed session at this meeting.
    3. We all need to sign the new confidentiality agreement for grievances. This is on the agenda for the August meeting.
  5. Announcements
    1. No announcements.
  6. Committee Reports
    1. CAPE Awards Committee
      1. No report.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee
      1. UPPAC had its annual meeting at the President’s House in June. Current and incoming members are invited. There was a fair amount of discussion regarding the Civil Service procedures, but nothing was especially new or revelatory compared to the conversations that CAP already had with the HR professionals.
      2. Other campuses reported on their professional development activities.
  • Updates were provided on the current legislative activities that mirrored conversations CAP has had dating back to earlier meetings in Spring 2018.
  1. Some discussion was held on the development of a Statewide Council of Councils across all the state schools, where the UPPAC councils at each university system would come together.
  2. As by tradition, the chair rotates around the three universities in the system. Amy will chair, as it is UIUC’s turn in the rotation.
  1. Academic Professional Senators
    1. No report.
  2. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
    1. No report.
  3. Procedures and Elections Committee
    1. There was one self-nomination for District V’s open seat, which was reviewed during closed session.
    2. Self-nominations for committee seats were discussed during closed session.
  • Electronic ballots will go out for Faculty Senate positions in Districts 4, 7, and 10 on July 9th and be open through July 16th.
  1. Communications Committee
    1. Once the Communications Committee is full, a meeting will be scheduled to discuss plans to increase the profile of CAP moving forward as well as other communications efforts.
    2. The committee is currently working on a protocol to get minutes routinely posted.
  2. Grievance Officer
    1. No official report.
    2. Mindy Spencer offered a brief reminder to CAP, especially new representative, that Chantelle Thompson is an excellent resource to work with should we receiver complaints or concerns from people in our districts.
  3. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation
    1. A final report was distributed to CAP, summarizing the process the committee went through as well as the results.
    2. Jeff Stein, chair of the committee, recommended that CAP accept this report and dissolve the ad hoc committee.
  • Randall Sandone moved to approve report; Carl Baker seconded; motion carried unanimously.
  1. Ad Hoc Committee on Harassment
    1. No report.
  2. Academic Human Resources Report Associate Provost for Human Resources
    1. Very brief update on exemption procedures
    2. As of the week of June 25, the campus online job board show all positions (faculty, AP, administrative support, and research) instead of breaking them down by position. The relevant listservs have also been combined.
    3. HR is currently meeting with administrators and deans in each college to discuss the coming change for many positions from AP to Civil Service. They have also been meeting with groups like Staff Advisory Committee, CAP, and so on to brief on the changes. They will begin to meet with the employees at large starting in August.
    4. FAQs about the change are available on a website, and there is an email box for questions from individuals.
    5. Q&A
      1. A number of questions have been coming in regarding Janus v. AFSCE from civil service staff paying “full share” but who are not a member of the union.
        1. Termination of the fair share payments will be effective immediately for individuals getting deductions for fair share dues. If people have questions, they should call Labor and Employee Relations regarding the Union Dues Deduction. They can also contact their union.
      2. One college’s HR area has been pushing staff to go on FMLA, even if they’re only out for a few days only for a few days. People feel like it’s coming from a threatening place – is this use of FMLA normal?
        1. “If people have a question about how things are happening, they can contact Labor and Employment Relations about it. There are a number of reasons why an employee might want to go on FMLA, and it gives people more options.”
  • Many internal candidates are concerned that if they take a new position at the University and that position is converted to Civil Service, they’ll lose seniority and be at risk for layoff.
    1. “Certainly, seniority provides protection for staff. While it’s a fair concern, terminating professional-level positions requires strong justification and significant paperwork, and the likelihood of an adverse effect from loss of seniority is unlikely.”
  1. Is the decision to switch positions from AP to Civil Service irreversible?
    1. Essentially, yes. This is a compromise with SUCSS and failure to comply with the new rules could mean the end of campus’s ability to independently determine exempt positions altogether.
  2. Unfinished Business
    1. Call for Committees
      1. The Communication Committee is seeking new members.
        1. At a basic level, this committee works on emails and the website. One thing that was discussed in the past is finding ways to communicate what CAP can do for APs. The other main priority for this semester is providing information for APs about the conversion of some positions to Civil Service.
        2. Members interesting in joining should reach out to Mindy.
      2. There are still vacancies on the CAPE Awards committee for those interested. Please reach out to Amy if interested.
    2. New Business
      1. Anyone interested in serving on the All Employee Expo Committee should reach out to Amy.
    3. Closed Session
      1. Elections for District 5 Representative and AP Senate Committees
        1. Council went into closed session for the purposes of these elections.
      2. Adjournment
        1. Jeff Stein moved to adjourn, Brian seconded. Approved unanimously.

 

Dates and Locations of CAP Monthly Meetings and CAP-Sponsored Events

Date Location Notes and Other Events
August 2, 2018 314A Illini Union
September 6, 2018 314A Illini Union
October 4, 2018 314A Illini Union
November 1, 2018 314A Illini Union
December 6, 2018 314A Illini Union
January 3, 2019 314A Illini Union

 

August 2018 Minutes

Minutes for August 2018 Monthly CAP Meeting

Thursday, August 2, 2018, 1:15 PM | 314A Illini Union

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Brent West (1), Amy Hovious (2), Randall Sandone (2), Leslie Vermillion (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Micah Kenfield (4), Ann Jones (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Lisa Merrifield (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Victoria Huart (8), Brian Brauer (8), George Gottschalk (9), Sol Roberts-Lieb (10), Nancy Walsh (10), John Scott (11), Jeff Stein (11)

 

Excused Absences: Maggie Jarvis (3), Carl Baker (6), Chantelle Thompson (7), Rebecca Ferrell (9)

  1. Call to Order
    • Meeting called to order at 1:16 PM
  2. Public Comment
    • No public comments.
  3. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes
    • Jeff Stein moved to approve. Sol seconds. Approved with no dissent.
  4. Chair’s Remarks
    • Began by extending appreciation to Rusty Barcelo for their dynamic presentation and Q&A at the previous meeting.
    • A new District Five rep has joined the council
      1. Ann Jones, assistant to the head in Curriculum and Instruction.
    • We need to sign a new confidentiality agreement, but they will be released after this meeting.
      1. CAP members will be able to sign electronically.
      2. There are some minor wording issues to be revised from the current version released in 2008.
  • Carl has volunteered to support All Employee Expo and table, thanks. October 18
  1. Announcements
    • No announcements.
  2. Committee Reports
    • CAPE Awards Committee
      1. No report; process has not yet begun for the following year.
    • University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee
      1. Amy met with Tracy, the exiting chair, and discussed transition items as Amy enters as the new chair. Nothing else to report.
    • Academic Professional Senators
      1. Senate is not in session so there’s no update
    • Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. No report.
    • Procedures and Elections Committee
      1. Becky is out, but all elections are completed and there’s nothing else to report.
    • Communications Committee
      1. Mindy brought a signup sheet to the Communication Committee last time. If you missed out on joining last year, signup sheet was brought again. Several initiatives pending getting full.
      2. In the past, we’ve asked that district reps send out emails to their district. While some districts have had success, others have had some challenges reaching people. Are there preferences toward a single mass email versus district-specific ones?
        1. Betoel – we’ve alternated back and forth but we tend to trend toward one giant email.
        2. Mindy – It sounds like in general people tend toward a single email.
        3. George – it also makes it more clear the difference between things sent out as an individual versus things sent out on behalf of CAP
        4. Mindy – if people are comfortable with a single newsletter, the Communications Committee will begin to discuss options and send out surveys to CAP at large to gauge ideas
        5. Sol – We can also always send things out as needed on a district by district level.
  • Grievance Officer
    1. No report at this time.
  • Ad Hoc Committee on Harassment
    1. Mindy – we’re still considering issues regarding grievances, and have a number of questions that have not yet been answered. The ad hoc committee will follow up again directly for responses and complete the report
    2. With grievances, is there anything that outlines if you’re being bullied/sexually harassed and the normal channels aren’t sufficient? What are the rules on what constitutes a grievance?
      1. Jeff – the grievable matter must be a violation of university policy (e.g. CAM, Code of Conduct, and so on) and procedure (e.g. potentially unit-specific rules and guidelines).
      2. Betoel – we discussed in the past on what we include in the list of what is and isn’t harassment/bullying.
      3. Mindy – We’ve been discussing both the University-level approach as well as how divisions and departments handle things.
  • We are close to having a final report ready to go.
  1. George – what can non-CAP employees serve on? Amy – any CAP committee, including this one.
  1. Academic Human Resources Report Deb Stone, Human Resources
    • Begin by introducing Nicole Hemming, the Assistant Director for Labor and Employee Relations. She’ll be the new liaison for the grievance process.
    • The Confidentiality Agreement for CAP is still in development and won’t be addressed at this time.
    • $750 has been funded for the AP Development Fund with 2-3 remaining requests remaining.
    • AP Exemption Change has taken significant time to operationalize these changes, which go in effect October 1. We’ve been meeting with deans and major administrators to work on specifics, and in the next few weeks we’ll begin to have specific meetings with unit HR regarding the way process works for them. September and early October information sessions for employees at large are also on deck.
    • Civil Service System staff may push for the biennial audit of positions to move out until the beginning of 2019. We know definitively that it will be after January 2019.
    • Questions about compensable sick leave – what will change when APs change to Civil Service?
      1. For people who earned this while it was an option, people will retain it.
      2. There is a difference for the non-compensable sick leave, and we are looking at options on if we can standardize it between areas and, if so, who makes the decision to change it (e.g. University vs System). First, AHR is looking for their recommendation, then how things change.
    • Changes made effective October 1st involve filling a new position, a vacancy, or a change to an existing position. The Audit will be the trigger for what changes for existing unchanged positions.
    • On a biennial basis, all HR processes (including exemption process) are reviewed. The triennial audit is a full review of all AP and Civil Service positions, which will lead to significantly more effort than years past to review all position in terms of the new criteria. We don’t yet have the exact processes to review all 4,000 positions but we’ll be communicating that to campus once we figure it out.
    • “What exactly goes into effect October 1st
      1. There’s an IL State Law that says that all state university positions are to be Civil Service unless exempted from that statute (including exemptions for students, faculty, research and extension, the President, and ‘other principal administrative positions’).
      2. What constitutes exemptions under that clause has changed, which is what goes into effect October 1st. In the past we’ve had standard titles we could use for exemption. This has been removed, and now all positions need to be reviewed by the new criteria individually.
    • “Can you explain what’s happening to seniority?”
      1. The quick and dirty is seniority comes into play when bumping positions.
      2. Seniority is currently based on civil service classifications. HR will try to have experts on hand to discuss this at the September meeting.
    • Mindy: “At the last meeting, we discussed if there was something similar for the AP development fund, and that there are no Civil Service seats on Faculty Senate. Would it make sense to invite someone from Staff Advisory Council to come to this meeting as well?”
      1. Things are a little different with SAC – they’re smaller, non-public meetings. There’s also the Employee Advisory Committee, which is a SUCSS committee and works a little differently.
      2. Jeff – “A past chair of SAC seemed interested and amenable.”
  • Elyne meets with SAC in the same way she does here, and she’s a good common denominator on how to approach the new model.
  • “A question has come up in our unit on how to figure out how many people on campus have a position similar to mine?”
    1. Any position that has to be converted will be converted to another classification that has to be the best classification for that position. It depends on the specific duties of the job, and will be reviewed thoroughly
    2. Many broad exempt titles will see many incumbents converted to civil service, but this doesn’t mean everyone with that a specific title will be changed.
  • Positions will only be converted as they come up in the audit. There will be time when people will occupy similar if not identical jobs but some will be AP and others Civil Service.
  • A new Jobs Board is now online. Group consensus was that it looks very nice.
  1. Unfinished Business
    • Confidentiality Agreement
      1. No update as discussed above.
  1. New Business
    • No new business.
  2. Closed Session
    • No closed session.
  3. Adjournment
    • Sol moved to adjourn, George seconded, meeting adjourned at 1:59 PM.

 

Dates and Locations of CAP Monthly Meetings and CAP-Sponsored Events

 

Date Location Notes and Other Events
August 2, 2018 314A Illini Union  
September 6, 2018 314A Illini Union  
October 4, 2018 314A Illini Union  
November 1, 2018 314A Illini Union  
December 6, 2018 314A Illini Union  
January 3, 2019 314A Illini Union  

 

May 2018 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, May 31, 2018, 3rd Floor Levis Faculty Center

Meeting Minutes submitted by Andrew Reynolds

 

Attendees: Rich Gegg (1), Brent West (1), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Leslie Vermillion (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Mindy Spencer (5), Carl Baker (6), Lisa Merrifield (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Victoria Huart (8), Becky Ferrell (9), George Gottschalk (9), Nancy Walsh (10), Sol Roberts-Lieb (10), Jeff Stein (11), John Scott (11), Deb Stone (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Chantelle Thompson (7), Randy Sandone (2), Micah Kenfield (4), Brian Brauer (8)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:15 p.m. Jeff noted cancellation of guest speaker Rusty Barcello due to schedule conflict. New date to be determined.

 

  1. Public Comment – none.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Approved as submitted by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein)
    1. This will be Jeff’s last meeting as chair.
    2. Jeff proposed process for timing and execution of procedures and elections during today’s meeting.

 

  1. Announcements
    1. Dance programs have been selected to be performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
    2. Carle College of Medicine will hold its first classes on July 2.

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller)
      1. Need a Co-Chair representative from CAP to serve for the following year. Co-chair does not have to be a CAP member.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein)
      1. Next meeting is June 7th which is the annual visit to President Killeen’s House
    3. Academic Professional Senators
      1. n/a
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees (Jeff Stein)
      1. Three senate-related meetings:
        • SEC met with Chancellor Jones for annual Vice-Chancellor review.
        • June 8: SEC will meet with auditors to review senate procedures.
        • June 18: SEC will meet with President Killeen for Vice-Chancellor performance evals.
      2. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
        1. Watch for emails requesting self-nominations for open CAP positions. Elections to be held during July meeting.
          • Special election for CAP District 5
          • Districts 4, 7, 10 for Faculty Senate
        2. Need two members for Procedures & Elections Committee
          • Sol Roberts-Lieb and Maggie Jarvis are interested
  • Rich Gegg put forward the Nominating Committee report, accepted by consensus.
  1. Communications Committee (Amy Hovious)
    1. Need final review of the new website before release.
    2. Communications Committee is available to help with AP/Civil Service fact sheet development. Deb Stone added that AHR would like to be involved in any unit brown bags, presentations, etc. concerning the audits.
  • Mindy Spencer is consolidating current and archival resources in Box.
  1. All new members now have Email+ access.
  1. Grievance
    1. none
  2. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
    1. Report release pushed to next month.
  3. Ad Hoc Committee on Gender-based Harassment (Mindy Spencer)
    1. Committee is close to releasing some recommendations. Will be asking ODEA for more statistics.
    2. Mindy noted that the committee focus has been expanded to include bullying.

 

  1. AHR Report (Deb Stone):
    1. Today is the final day of Benefits Choice.
    2. Academic Professional Development Fund opens July 1.
      1. Application will be online.
      2. Communications will send a link when it becomes available.
    3. Senate has passed a balanced budget.
    4. Civil Service System and exempted positions
      1. New procedures to be fully implemented by October. Processes still being discussed, so Civil Service position audit will be delayed until 2019.
      2. AHR has developed the Professional Employment Redesign web page (http://humanresources.illinois.edu/professional-empl-redesign-per/) to help track status and answer questions.
  1. Q & A:
    • CAP equivalent for CS: Staff Advisory Council
    • Temp positions: If full time position were AP, temp position would be Ac Hourly.
    • Effect of conversion on senate representation has not been examined, but should be.
    • No AP Development Fund equivalent for CS. Should be fought for.
    • SUCSS is legally required to manage exemption criteria. New criteria are intended to correct perceived errors.
    • Veteran status does not typically factor into CS Pro application scores.
    • All top scores are provided to search committee, not just top 3.
    • AHR working on ways to better understand unit needs for more accurate application scoring.

 

  1. Unfinished Business

 

  1. New Business
    1. Review of CAP Annual Report
      1. Feedback received. Jeff will add redistricting info. Report accepted by consensus pending proposed changes.
    2. Reminder to district reps that CAP confidentiality agreements must be signed and returned next month.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Election of CAP Officers
    1. No additional nominations.
    2. Elections:
      1. Chair: Amy Hovious
      2. Vice Chair: Becky Ferrell
  • Secretary: Micah Kenfield
  1. Grievance Officer: Chantelle Thompson
  2. Communications: Mindy Spencer
  3. At-Large Member: George Gottschalk

 

  1. Adjourned – 3:00 p.m.

 

April 2018 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, April 5, 2018, Alice Campbell Alumni Center

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Judy Van Cleeff (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Betoel Escobar (7), Brian Brauer (8), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Leslie Vermillion (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Carl Baker (6), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Tanisha King-Tayler (7), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Beth Hall (11)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:20 p.m.

 

  1. Public Comment – none.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Approved as submitted by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – CAP August meeting will be changed to the first Thursday of the month on the 2nd. Provost Cangellaris is set to be the guest speaker next month (May meeting).  Reminder the June meeting is changed to May 31st with guest speaker, Nancy “Rusty” Barcelo, Visiting Special Assistant to the Chancellor for Diversity.  Jeff is working to get the president to speak at one of the meetings in the fall, if not, may need to wait until next March.
    1. District realignment – proposal is complete and approved, ask communications committee to make sure this is updated on the web site.
    2. George and Nancy – thank them for serving on the committee to review nominations for the Academic Professional Development Fund
      1. Comment that this should be announced to the general AP population

 

  1. Announcements
    1. Chancellor’s critical conversations are coming up:
      1. Native American Imagery – April 10th from 3-5 p.m. SDRP Multipurpose Room
        1. Pre-registration is required (although currently full, but there is a waiting list), not town-hall format – roundtable group discussions will take place
      2. Free Speech – April 17th from 12-1 p.m. Colwell Playhouse at Krannert
    2. CAPE Awards today

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller)
      1. Provost Cangellaris will DJ the award ceremony in the event that the Chancellor cannot attend, appreciate Kristina’s hard work on this committee
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein)
      1. Annual Meeting at the president’s house on June 7th, UPPAC is populated by the executive committee – both outgoing and incoming executives are invited (as officer elections are during the June meeting)
        1. UPPAC members are asked to suggest agenda items – question on the agenda was asked. Jeff will solicit agenda items to the CAP committee.
      2. Academic Professional Senators
        1. 3 senate meetings since the last meeting,
          1. Regular meeting of the Academic Senate – discussed GEO strike, reported on Chief Illiniwek, budget reform, and sexual harassment (senate website has this information), ethical conduct of research and scholarship – valuable document to guide research practices on this campus
          2. April 2nd senate meeting – expand representation of AP senators from 7-10 seats. No questions or debate.  Next meeting will be a second reading and vote.
            1. Jeff will draft a statement of support and will be there to answer any questions if there were to be any during the discussion. The meeting is April 30th at the Union and starts at 3:10, and Jeff encourages all CAP AP representatives to attend in support, if possible.
          3. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
            1. Faculty Staff Assistance Services Advisory Committee (Elizabeth) – doing excellent with limited staff currently while dealing with much higher volume of services, also serving research park (700+ people, many that do not have insurance), also trying to ramp up what they are providing to extension.
          4. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
            1. Report via email – AP senator elections are concluded – 4 new AP senators will be seated (Districts 2, 6, 8, 9) and have been asked to come to the May 31st meeting.
            2. CAP Representatives, seats available in districts 1 and 7, (2, 8, and 10 – only had one nomination, so will be elected accordintly), they have been contacted and accepted to AHR. 1 self-nomination for districts 4 and 6.  No self-nominations from district 11.
  • Officer elections – reviewed bylaws, officers will be nominated at the May 31st meeting to be elected by the new CAP members who will be present at the meeting. There is a nominating committee to be formed, so if members are interested in serving on this committee, let Jeff know (3-person committee).
  1. Communications Committee (Amy Hovious)
    1. After the redistricting plan was approved, updates lists in webtools, through AHR, and updated the website. Emails have been sent out about CAP self-nomination reminders.  Working on an announcement to all APs to alert them that there have been changes in the districts.
  2. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor)
    1. no closed session and no report
  3. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
    1. Made comments in remarks earlier.
  4. Ad Hoc Committee on Gender-based Harassment (Mindy Spencer)
    1. Invite Rusty to CAP meeting (completed and confirmed for May 31st)
    2. Created an initial list of recommendations, but need to get more metrics from ODEA
      1. This list should be sent out via email either sometime this week or next
  • Trying to discover if there are grievance models within colleges for APs to report these types of issues – soliciting this information from district reps
  1. Board of Trustees Report
    1. Tier 3 retirement plan update – indefinite hold, and not moving forward (SURS legislatures have put this on hold).
    2. BOT shifting costs from existing retirement tiers, as it stands the state covers a large part of employer contributes (for state funded positions) and about 25% of these costs will shift from the state to the university
  • Ed Seidel – Executive Director of Research park – nice presentation on this
  1. Fundraising goals for CI COM are underperforming at this moment
  2. Public comment which comments on harassment and bullying and Native American Imagery where shared.

 

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Academic Professional Development Fund
      1. Complexities of transfer of funds, Vicky Gress in the Provost Office has been working to figure out how to minimize these issues and have come up with an application that might help in the process to make it smoother, and while doing this, the entire process (from the start of the application) will be reviewed to become automated and more efficient
    2. Budget – nothing new to report
    3. Civils Service System and exempted positions
      1. Civil Service System has finalized procedures which will be in place during the next pay period, which were similar as to what was decided in February, and to be implemented in October of this year
        1. There will be no standardized titles
        2. Senior level administrator standard is now over an entire department, unit, etc. in order to exempt a position – senior management/administrative – the ability to make judgements and decisions on behalf of the unit (but this is still determined by the Civil Service System)
        3. Who has the authority to make the decision of an exempted position? The campus will still be able to make this decision, but if the Civil Service System disagrees with this argument from campus and determines that this position should be Civil Service position, the decision stands and the position will be converted.
          1. Campus can appeal, but this decision goes to the Merit Board, which also has the final say (and controlled by the Civil Service System)
          2. Specialists, Coordinators, Assistant Directors, etc. may not hold to this new standard. Academic Advisors, Residence Hall Directors, Admissions, Academic Recruiters, Advancement/Development Officers
          3. UIUC is first on the list to be audited in October, any new positions if not at these new standards could easily be deemed to convert back to Civil Service positions (16 months to do the conversion)
          4. It is not campus intent to convert current positions back to Civil Service positions, now with the new standards

 

  1. Unfinished Business
    1. Academic Professional Leadership Program – announcements coming soon for applications to this

 

  1. New Business
    1. HealthLink/CMS Discussion (Rick Atterberry)
      1. Capturing stories with issues, no luck with communicating with CMS (in an attempt to get OSF and HealthLink together to fix), if CAP members have additional stories or information, please connect with Rick.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 3:56 p.m.

March 2018 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, March 1, 2018, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Leslie Vermillion (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Carl Baker (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Tayler (7), Brian Brauer (8), Becky Ferrell (9), George Gottschalk (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Beth Hall (11), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Judy Van Cleeff (4), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Chantelle Thompson (8)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:21 p.m.

 

  1. Public Comment – none.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Approved as submitted by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Welcome George Gottschalk to the council, newest rep from District 9. Works in the acquisitions department in the library.  Introductions from other council members.  AP Development fund has been approved as of March 1st (see website for additional information) and will be accepting applications for funding in the near future.  Provost office is working on addressing the issues with the funding allocation process as well as updating the application.
    1. Elyne is requesting a committee to review the applications and council members will be elected at the end of this meeting.
    2. Need to move the June CAP meeting because the UPPAC meeting conflicts. Since it is election time for CAP, Jeff suggested to move the meeting to May 31st and also move the July meeting up one week (June 28th) to avoid the July 4th
      1. Dates changed by consensus.
    3. Request to APs to report any effects to APs on the GEO strike that is occurring.

 

  1. Announcements
    1. Brian – CAP members that participated in the CPR training through the Fire Service Institute were part of the recognition of Illinois being the first campus in the nation to be considered “heart safe” (due to the number of participants) – working on the release to public affairs for this.
    2. Campus Budget townhall meetings being held with the Provost
      1. March 13th from 12-1:15 p.m. BIF Auditorium
      2. March 27th from 12-1:15 p.m. NCSA Auditorium
    3. Chancellor – first two of critical conversation series will take place in the coming month:
      1. Native American Imagery – April 10th from 3-5 p.m. SDRP Multipurpose Room
      2. Free Speech – April 17th from 12-1 p.m. Colwell Playhouse at Krannert

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller)
      1. Submitted all 6 finalists and accepted by the Chancellor. Chancellor’s office is working on notifications to both the winners and the finalists.  Chancellor will be out of town during the CAPE award ceremony, so looking for an alternate to stand in.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein)
      1. UPPAC Meeting on Monday
        1. Items reported from CAP – visit from ODEA on sexual harassment issues, Chancellor’s critical series, update on AP Professional Development fund, efforts on representation on faculty senate, CAPE awards are coming up, and activity on Merit board for Civil Service
        2. Reports from others
          1. 4th Fridays to engage in professional development, UIC focused on wellness in their professional development categories
          2. Council of Councils – bringing together of councils across other campuses around the state of Illinois
          3. UIC asking for information on academic senate representation and the proposal to expand representation
          4. System HR – overview of benefits, employees from Coventry (ETNA) – notices are not for tax returns but information only
          5. Administrative Leadership Programs – DDD list to send out later this month to solicit for nominations. First group will participate in October – open to 20 APs across all campuses (7 from UIUC) – cost to the unit on the Leadership Program
        3. Academic Professional Senators
          1. None.
        4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
          1. Senate Executive Committee (Jeff Stein)
            1. Set the agenda for the faculty senate committee
            2. Update on GEO strike
            3. 2 resolutions on Chief Illiniweck and allegation against Professor Rosenstein to be presented on next meeting
            4. Campus strategic planning effort
            5. Ask for comment on the statement for ethical research conduct – Jeff to send out report to council for comment or feedback
          2. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell – email report)
            1. Thank you for district reps 2, 6, 8, 9 for getting lists back promptly!
            2. Feb 26-March 7 nominations for seats, elections March 12-21
  • Mindy Spencer’s term – Becky is working on a new system to track terms
    1. Vote to keep Mindy’s appointment until June 2020, motion approved by CAP
  1. Communications Committee (Mindy Spencer)
    1. Sending out all nominations emails as per Becky’s lists
    2. Update lists on the website
  2. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – none.
  3. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
    1. Redistricting – centered around how eligibility is determined, anticipate no issues, document will go to the senate for a first reading (April meeting) and then a vote at the next meeting (May meeting). May have a special election over the summer to implement the new seats to add to the new AY or will need to wait another cycle for the next AY.
    2. Elyne – District 7, parking – ad hoc units are represented in district 10, District 7 – provost and vice chancellor and academic affairs, and seems parking should go with this
      1. Motion to swap parking (axillary unit) from 10 to 7, and Illini Center from 7 to 10, motion approved by consensus.
    3. Ad Hoc Committee on Gender-based Harassment (Mindy Spencer)
      1. Meeting next week, feedback from last month’s CAP meeting from ODEA and HR, send to Mindy and will take under advisement before the committee meets next week
      2. Sexual Harrasment training went live today – reminder to complete training

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Budget – nothing new to report – encourage participate in town halls and meetings
    2. Academic Professional Development Fund – pleased with the earlier update to move forward, and as far as the budget is concerned, the intent is to respond to all requests in an open manner as compared to previous years and will award accordingly and appropriately
      1. Need to resolve the issues around the exchange/process of the funds
    3. Civil Serve exemption issues update
      1. Civil Service Rule – all employees are Civil Services except those that are exempted from the rule. Principle Administrative employees (those exempted from CS) – these positions include, for example, the president, faculty, etc.  The merit board is intensely looking at current AP positions and whether or not they should have been (or should be) exempted.  Audits occur every 3 years, and have brought positions to the table that should not have been exempted – UIUC has argued that we have exempted these positions properly given the list of standard titles for AP.  Number of findings over the last 10 years has grown steadily.  Merit Board, which has oversight over the Civil Service system, has decided that the Civil Service System has the final say over which positions should be exempted or not.  In the past UIUC would disagree and wait until the position became vacant to review the position to see if the campus agreed to change to Civil Service.  So now, at audits, if Civil Service System finds that a position should not be exempt, we must follow.
        1. There is an appeal process, but the Civil Service Systems reviews these also and will make the final decision.
        2. Previously, 1st level of review included – does it meet standard title exemption, and 2nd level included – is there CS classification that fits
          1. Now it is the opposite, since the standard titles are being removed
        3. We will no longer have the standard titles, and the system is now creating titles that mimic the current ones for APs in the Civil Service System.
          1. Civil Service positions now hold the authority for carrying out judgement and making independent decisions
        4. Next steps for CAP is to come up with a plan as to how to appropriately communicate this new direction to all APs on campus.

 

  1. Unfinished Business
    1. Proposed language to revise the constitution to add 3 AP senate seats
      1. Deb – suggested making more generic updates (as units are likely to grow in the future, units as defined by CAP), request to remove “prairie” and add an “s” to “institute” (to generalize to research institutes). CAP voted to approve these changes.
      2. Motion to adopt the proposal as amended – motion carried out by CAP by vote.
    2. Redistricting Plan
      1. The new Siebel Design Center – need to add this unit, as individuals are being hired (this needs to be addressed as to whether this should be added now or revisited in the future once the center becomes more defined).
      2. Motion to approve the plan – motion carried out by CAP by vote.

 

  1. New Business – Discussion on visits to CAP meeting schedule – proposed: ODEA (Feb), president (March), chancellor (April), OVCIA (May), election of new officers (June), provost (July)

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 3:15 p.m.