Dear members of the campus community:
Welcome to the website of the Council of Academic Professionals (CAP).
CAP is an elected body of 22 academic professionals, two from each one of 11 districts that represent the academic and administrative units of Academic Professionals based on the Urbana-Champaign campus.
Academic Professionals play an integral role in advancing the teaching, research, and engagement mission of our institution, providing an operational foundation and making significant intellectual contributions to the education our students, the success of our research enterprise, and by leading the engagement of our community through Extension and outreach.
CAP members are committed to working with faculty, staff and students across campus towards enhancing the work environment, employment policies and prospects for the future for academic professionals.
We are engaged in many initiatives and activities:
- We help oversee the election of Academic Professionals to the Academic Senate. CAP worked for years to gain support for this opportunity to work alongside faculty on shared governance.
- We help manage the Academic Professional Development Fund, which provides funds to academic professionals to assist them in pursuing professional development.
- We ensure APs are recognized for their exemplary work by our facilitation of the Chancellor’s Academic Professional Excellence awards.
- We nominate APs to serve on Senate committees, search committees for the University President, Chancellor, and Provost; and ad hoc committees on a variety of other important issues.
- We hear grievances from academic professionals.
- We advocate for the interests of academic professionals, including the preservation of exemption authority of Universities to create AP position, the preservation of notice rights for APs on the Urbana campus, and the administration response to changes in federal labor law such as the Fair Labor Standards Act.
I invite you to consider engaging with CAP in one of the its many initiatives, programs, meetings and other activities. From serving on CAP as a member, to nominating yourself to serve on a committee to attending a meeting, there are many opportunities to participate in the shared governance of the campus. We regularly communicate these opportunities by e-newsletter to APs. You are also welcome to attend a CAP meeting – they are held on the first Thursday of every month – times and locations are also shared on this website.
I hope we can work together to continue strengthening this role.
Dr. Jeffrey A. Stein
Chair of the Council of Academic Professionals, 2016-2017