November 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, November 2, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Judy Van Cleeff (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Betoel Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Brian Brauer (8), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Beth Hall (11), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Carl Baker (6), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Richard Stokes (9)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:37 p.m.

 

  1. Guest Speaker – Interim Provost John Wilkin
    1. Opening remarks – prepared to speak to preliminary questions presented to him. Academic Professionals are a significant portion of who we are as a university and wanted to address this to CAP.  APs bring disciplinary expertise to the work that we do as an institution and valued.
    2. Questions:
      1. Budget – Provost’s Coffee session this morning (public session of budget reform process). Paul’s slides at the presentation will be uploaded to the Provost website in the budget section.  Awareness that there will be a shift in costs (healthcare, etc.) and this is the primary motive for the budget reform process.  This process has been in place for some time now, with emphasis on research on other institutions, to come up with the new budget model – for example: IU distributions (50%) to be distributed to units.
        1. There were a number of principles (transparency, understandability) that were laid out by a group/committee – CBATF to further define the model.
        2. Learned a lot around RCM (Responsibility Centered Management) to which is not going to be implemented here at the university – tends to skew things that do not allow the institution to invest in strategic initiatives broadly speaking. The core needs to be strengthened to implement the mission of the university.
        3. Schools/Colleges – need to hire Deans and Department Heads that are privy to the mission of the University. They need to think strategically – “not one size fits all” when it comes to teaching models and enrollments.  Need to give the schools and colleges the resources they need to allow them to strategically grow.  For example, Schools/Colleges do not pay for space – so to reduce costs in sensible ways.
        4. Non-tuition generating units (Beckman, for example) – committees are in place to review costs and rates to insure funding is being spent well.
      2. CAP Questions/Discussion
        1. Provost Communication 22 (AP Performance Reviews) – on CAP we have seen through grievances that often times performance reviews are not consistently given through time and it would be great if this important evaluation system is addressed/structured in a more modern and feasible way – online resources, etc. CAP could also be a resource to APs as needed.
        2. AP vs. Faculty representation within departments and units and how this is defined, along with budgets, which is typically through the UEO.

 

  1. Public Comment – none.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Spelling changes for council members and a few other minor grammatical changes submitted via email, and Elyne will review minutes due to the details of quest speaker comments – council will review and approve next meeting.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Inspirational presentation by the Chancellor over the lunch hour meeting. Chancellor touched on the strategic planning process.  CAP communicated a list of 43 APs as suggestions for participation in these four focus groups (4 pillars of strategic plan) – 50 in number across the university as a whole.  Provost search is on-going and hopes to have someone in place by the end of the calendar year.  Faculty Senate Executive Committee (Jeff serves) met with each of the candidates so CAP had voice.  New Interim Vice Chancellor for Research – Susan Martinez

 

  1. Announcements – none.

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller) – Deadline extended to Friday due to low number of nominations (only 11) – selection committee meets on Monday, so quick turn-around time to review eligibility. As of now, the number has been increased to 31 applications.  Additionally, this year had a self-nomination to which the instructions were not explicitly clear that self-nominations are not accepted.  At this point, the process itself should deselect the candidate from moving forward (as the candidate being the nominator would have to solicit their own recommendation letters).  Suggestion from the public to provide a form letter to a nominee stating they have been nominated – there is a letter that goes out providing this information but not until the finalists are selected.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein) – Next meeting is a teleconference on Monday (November 6th). Agenda includes discussion on statewide council of councils, which refers to the staff advisory council for Civil Service employees on each of the campuses – planning to have an annual meeting joining these councils, (Urbana has not ever hosted one) and due to this, Urbana will be hosting the one in 2018.  The question is whether or not this will be created for APs.  Deb will be present.  Other agenda item is the definitions of Civil Services positions.
    3. AP Senators – Very brief senate meeting, resolution of support of those who would be impacted by the DACA situation.
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. Faculty Senate Committee Meeting (Rick Atterberry) – brief meeting with an overview of items to be discussed at the next meeting (mascot issues, etc.).
    5. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
      1. Special Election – Replacement for District 3 representative, Todd Spinner, who has left CAP. Leslie Vermillion was voted as the new representative for District 3.
      2. Faculty Senate Committee – two seats open, district 2 and 6 need representatives. Now in the self-nomination period (running through November 8th) and election will run from November 15-21st.
    6. Communications (Mindy Spencer) – Official public affairs word art for CAP.
    7. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – No report.
    8. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
      1. Internal committee has been meeting to discuss how to get districts 4,7,10 included in representation into the senate. Strict wording in senate bylaws that excludes these districts.  Chair of committee is strongly in favor of moving forward with addressing this.  There are also units that are not in any district (CI COM, etc.).  The committee drafted a proposal, which outlines current capacity and then a proposed district layout, with a section addressing the missing districts and the shifting of specific units.  CAP to review the document and comment at next meeting.  Next step would be a proposal to the senate to recommend the changes to the constitution.  Jeff would like to involve the chair of SEC for review also – could be as early as the December meeting (2 weeks to write and submit the document).  The proposal will also go to USSP for review.

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Professional Development Fund update – no new news as discussions continue to address the funding status and future status.
    2. Continuing to discuss exemption issue within the civil service system and pursuing a better definition on what an exemption means. Elyne believes there still needs to be much discussion towards a resolution, which is because this is a large group of employees – includes all employees not faculty, civil service, or students.  There is much disagreement on what an exempted position means or should be defined as.  There is no deadline currently.
      1. Question about the SURS buyout and timeframe.
        1. Conversation occurring about the projection of the change in interest rate on the money purchased. In 2014, employees close to retiring were encouraged to look to see if there would be a benefit to retiring due to the change and how this would be an impact.  This is what Elyne believes to be occurring, but a buyout is a different story.  The actuarial table is changing.
      2. Question about GEO negotiations – unfortunately cannot discuss at CAP. Elyne to provide additional information and can contact her office as well.

 

  1. Unfinished Business – None.

 

  1. New Business – Discussion about the idea of sharing best practices amongst APs across campus and how CAP can facilitate and provide for this, which includes CAP sponsored brown-bag lunches, in response to questions from units. Coordinated perhaps once a month with very open questions – goal is to get APs together to network and learn best practices.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 3:45 p.m.

October 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, October 5, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Judy Van Cleeff (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Carl Baker (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Richard Stokes (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Kristina Miller (1), Richard Gegg (1), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Mindy Spencer (5), Brian Brauer (8), Beth Hall (11)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:12 p.m.

 

  1. Guest Speaker – Chancellor Jones
    1. Last conversation, back in January, critical to be engaged in more dialogues with the Chancellor to discuss challenges at the University, so is pleased to be here. Would like to focus on how to engage with APs now and in the future.  Points to emphasize
      1. AP workforce here is a very vital, and irreplaceable component in the success of this university. This has been true for the past (sesquicentennial years) and is confident that this will continue – an anchor for Human Resources at the university.
      2. Budget crisis – a few months ago able to move forward from a 25 months budget uncertainty. This had an impact (reputational); candidates, stakeholders, and even internal faculty and staff that the institution will continue to deliver its great mission.  The university did all that was possible to strategically and intentionally protect our students, staff, and faculty.  Asking us to be better, smarter, more creative, and more efficient within our financial framework so that we can be less financially dependent on the state to allow us to move this university to the next level of excellence.
  • Strategic Plan (Budgetary Reform) – The two top initiatives that came out of this plan – IC Plan, CI College of Medicine (first new college created in the past 60 years) – new biomedical ecosystem to change the way medicine is both taught and practiced across the community, state, nation, and world.
  1. Opportunity to hear from APs. The University is dependent on the feedback of the APs, because APs live on the “ground” close to the issues and the advice and impact from APs is critical.
  2. AP Development Fund, which was suspended during the budget crisis, is being considered and working on to revamp. There are potential resources to redirect toward that effort to get the program up and running again.
  1. Questions to the Chancellor
    1. Question (Jeff Stein): Challenges to work-life balance in our effort to do more work with less… what can we do together to improve this balance as we contribute to the mission to the university.
      1. Answer: still learning as to where the gaps are and what we can do to increase efficiency. Chancellor is still learning the processes and procedures at the ground level to support this question.  Aligning the budget reform with the strategic plan, which plays a critical role within the human factor.  Elyne Cole – departments also have the ability to be flexible with work schedules, depending on the time of year, or projects occurring.  There is not a campus-wide structure or policy on this, since it is more on an individual basis, but departments are always welcome to contact Human Resources to assist in these conversations.
    2. Question from Public – Grants and Contracts Office – has a reputation of being difficult to work with, not because of the people, but because of the complexities of the system.
      1. Answer: These issues happened at his other university. It is a challenge to work with the corporate/private sector, but we need to not focus on the fact that we need to move very slowly.  We need to diversify our portfolio in this area to better serve the needs of the Grants and Contracts Office responsibilities.  There may be a need to invest in additional resources to support this issue and the Chancellor is supportive of this.
  • Question (Andrew Reynolds): What are some of the ways to better improve communications within the campus from processes that are working well in the units to alert campus, and then to disperse back out to other units.
    1. Answer: (Elyne Cole) – there is not a specific way this is done through HR, but perhaps this need to be formalized. Currently best practiced are communicated through CAP with the expectations that communication then happens to the districts.
    2. Answer: Chancellor – Suggestion to have an annual meeting/event to showcase best processes across campus
  1. Question (Elizabeth Rockman): Issues with Visas and student recruitment.  Are we currently ahead of the curve on this?  Where do you see us in terms of the changing political climate?
    1. Greatly concerned about some of these issues, particularly the expedited ones that was giving problems to hire some of the best and brightest people to our campus. Our International Programs office and Provost Office are excellent, the cases currently have been few, and the number has not been significant, which is good.
  2. Question from Public – wages for AP have been fairly stagnant. What financial environment to we need to have to get us back to a place where we can see substantial raises as had occurred in the past.
    1. Answer: Optics in a crisis like this does not look good, but the university took a risk in giving a modest increase during a budget crisis to show our APs the value of the work they complete for the campus. Up until about 2015, our faculty salaries were at the medium, first year of budget cut – dropped 5%, second year dropped 7% according to our peers.  There is a mission to get back to a regular salary increase cycle for campus.
  3. Question from Public – underrepresented employee, she has always been asked to serve on the committees because of the diversity initiative, and would like to know how HR determines how much to pay employees here. Seems that the person that makes the most noise or change jobs will pull ahead.  There is not a system in place at the university level to guard against this.  Please look at salary compression issues, especially for the seasoned employees.
    1. Answer: (Elyne Cole) – appreciate concerns, but notion that there is not a system is in place is not quite accurate. Job titles, duties, and responsibilities are looked at (within units) to determine the salary for the position itself.  This is then compared to other units once received at campus level to make sure equity is adhered to.  Suggested talk to HR office if feels like not being paid appropriately.  It is HR obligation to address that fact if the case.
  • Comment from Public – received Professional Development Fund, used it for university training (dreamweaver) and got some pushback from this, and wanted to comment that this also stay within the university, for those who might not be able to travel, etc.
  1. Public Comment – none.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Procedures and Elections Committee representative needs to be updated to Becky Ferrell, otherwise approved by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Rich remarks from the Chancellor, work with Elyne and Deb to see what we can do to asses communications not only among the AP community, but in general through the university. Great comment from Andrew to move forward with.  Comment from Elyne – the Chancellor also made strong reference to the strategic plan, and it is recommended that CAP review this and make recommendations on behalf of the APs (Amy, Judy, and Jenny – subcommittee to begin this process).  Welcome Judy Van Cleeff, new CAP rep from District (4).

 

  1. Announcements – none.

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Jenny Ehrnthaller on behalf of Kristina Miller) – The CAPE Award Selection Committee members have been selected.  We have emailed those selected to verify their willingness and ability to serve.  They have a deadline of October 6th to confirm or decline.  If any member declines, we do have a pool of alternates for each district.  By the 2nd week of October, we will have the CAPE Award Selection Committee confirmed with letters of appointment from the Chancellor’s office.  We will also have letters from the Chairs to those who volunteered to be on the committee but were not selected thanking them for their willingness to serve and ask them to keep an eye out for other opportunities in the future.  Again, we have 1 committee member from each district for a total of 11 CAPE Award Selection Committee members and they will remain confidential until the selection process is finalized in April. The CAPE Award nomination process started on September 29th and runs to 5:00 PM on Friday, October 27th.  Chair and Committee will not be meeting until early November.  More information in November CAP Meeting.  If you, or any of your constituency, have any questions, please feel free to contact Kristina Miller.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein) – Next meeting is in November. UIC concerned about audits for Civil Service. Elyne – discussions are happening regarding rules that exempt positions from Civil Service (across the state).  Attempted to clean up the Rule of 3 issue on out of state recruitment (if a candidate is not a resident, they are not eligible to apply to a position of Civil Service) which was critical for the Chicago campus given their location.  This is an on-going discussion which could affect Urbana-Champaign, but at this point, it is not clear how CAP can be helpful.
    3. AP Senators – Very brief senate meeting, resolution of support of those who would be impacted by the DACA situation.
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. Senate Committee for Campus Operations (Jenny Ehrnthaller) – Committee met on Thursday, September 21st and discussed capital projects on campus (75 projects ranging from $75K to $600M). The Provost Office charged a committee to review rates and funding – new rates in FY18 for crafts and trades positions.  There was also a discussion on a Shared Bikes Program on campus.
      2. USSP (University Senate Statutes and Procedures) – Revival of some of the university statutes which were first circulated in 2015 (ST72).
    5. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
      1. Special Election – Replacement for District 3 representative, Todd Spinner, who has left CAP, but could not elect a new representative because the nomination was from the same org code as our current CAP representative in District 3 – Maggie Jarvis. CAP will reopen the nomination process.
      2. Faculty Senate Committee – two seats open, district 2 and 6 need representatives.
    6. Communications (Richard Stokes) – All Employee Expo – lots of traffic, event went well for CAP.
    7. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – No report.
    8. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
      1. Doodle poll out for this group. Fall semester to develop the proposal and spring to move the process forward.  Continued discussion occurred on the issues of redistricting.

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Professional Development Fund is on the table for moving forward, as the Chancellor also referred to in his remarks. Questions regarding how much of the fund is used.  Also questions on where the fund should reside… should it be at the college level to allocate to the departments.  This is how it works at the extension.  Transactions from the section level are a lot on a $500 award basis – discussions on how to make this more efficient.
      1. Question regarding real-time AP lists to make communications more effective – EDW (Enterprise Data Warehouse) should be able to do this, and Richard will continue to the conversation with Deb to get what is needed.
      2. Question regarding service recognitions for both Civil Service and AP. HR handles Civil Service, but not the Academic side.

 

  1. Unfinished Business – None.

 

  1. New Business – New Employee Training? Rick ran into someone downstairs who didn’t know where he was going.  This training has stopped.  Need to rethink the best delivery model for this kind of information.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 3:47 p.m.

September 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, September 7, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Carl Baker (6), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Betal Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Brian Brauer (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Richard Stokes (9), Nancy Walsh (10), Beth Hall (11), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Todd Spinner (3), Chantelle Thompson (8), Elizabeth Rockman (10)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:17 p.m.

 

  1. Public Comment – 2 visitors; no comments.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – One correction name misspelled (Richard Gegg), passed by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Dates and locations for upcoming meetings are listed on the agenda. Speakers (provost, chancellor, and president – would like a set of questions prepared 1 week ahead of time and the communications team will help coordinate this). There are a few slots for other guest speakers if members would like to recommend. UPAC observer for the BOT meeting this morning – issue in public comment period regarding Native American imagery, which is generating more attention recently. The chancellor and president announced significant investment in faculty hires due to budget – one for one match for all three campus (3 years, $60M towards high profile faculty hires).  Walter Knorr comptroller retired beginning of this month – new interim position approved at board meeting.

 

  1. Announcements – Comment requesting minutes to be sent a day before the meeting for review (Carle Baker).

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller) – In the process of assigning the selection committee from nominations. It is not advertised who is on the committee (let district reps know if requested). In addition, the CAPE nominee process in underway – from now until mid-October, so activity with the CAPE process should be stagnate until then.  Reminder CAPE Awards Celebration will be held on April 5, 2018.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein) – No report since the last meeting.
    3. AP Senators – First meeting is September 18th.
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. Senate Executive Committee – Chancellor announced candidates for the open Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost position. Our Vice Chancellor for Research, Peter Schiffer, will be returning to Yale, and updates on filling this position will be shared in the near future. Diversity initiatives will continue on campus.
    5. Procedures and Elections (Becky Ferrell)
      1. Faculty Senate Committee Elections – All open positions were appointed and ratified by a vote of 18 members. Faculty/Academic Staff Benefits – Ellen J. de Waard, General University Policy – Tina Rolfe, Campus Operations – Jenny Ehrnthaller, Public Engagement and Institutional Advancement – Chantelle Thompson.
      2. Special Election – Replacement for District 4 representative, Jessica Beaudoin
    6. Communications (Richard Stokes) – In process of updating the website (Chantelle and Andrew are working very hard on this), Mindy has volunteers to update the brand to conform to the new Illinois “Block I” branding moving forward. Richard received a request from an AP to opt out of our email listserv – this cannot be done, as these listservs are from HR directly. Richard is also in the process of updating stakeholders to make sure all lists are up to date. Additionally, for the CAP booth at the All Employee Expo, either Mindy or Andrew will attend represent CAP. Other CAP reps are welcome and encouraged to volunteer.
    7. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – Lots of traction but no formal reports, so no closed session today.
    8. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
      1. Ongoing discussions on the redistricting of CAP to include districts not being represented are continuing with Senate representatives. Jeff is suspecting a year-long process before a recommendation gets submitted to CAP.

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Budget – nothing new to report, has been sent to departments for planning. This is great news, but campus is still recuperating from not having a budget for the past two years.
      1. No updates on the back-log of medical payments, law that states they are supposed to be moving forward. In Nessie, there is a link to the CMS page, dedicated to the claims page. This process is about 2 years behind.
    2. Salary Program – has been allocated to about 1% across the board on average.
    3. AP Professional Development Fund – a request was sent to the Provost Office for any consideration for a revisit of funding (opening for a discussion), but there were no responses to date. To restore on a partial basis was taken into consideration.
    4. 2FA (two-factor authentication) for Banner and HR-front end and Paris (required whether you are on campus or not), if these are required as part of jobs, the unit is required to purchase the equipment to not promote use of personal phones. Employees can register a number of devices with a signed disclaimer if use on other devices (outside of work-related computers). Supply might be minimal through the web store, but they are working to accommodate all request. Not sure if UIC or Springfield is providing the same advice to their employees. This is being rolled-out in September. Question – about FOIA on devices if an employee decides to use cell phones. If purchased from the web store, the device will be registered. If purchased outside the web store, the device will not be registered, so it will not work. Can CAP help to proactively educate staff about this new initiative – will work with Deb’s office (AHR) to send a draft email to the units. Cap will also add information to our website and in Eweek to direct employees to our website.
    5. CAPE Award Program
      1. Comment – UIC recognized about 30 APs – not opposed to continue to pursue increased efforts on the UIUC campus after speaking with UPAC and getting some additional background. Is this just salary adjustments or APD (AP development)? We need to be careful with strategy and timing. Comment about the $60M that went towards faculty recruiting, can $75K be allocated for staff? Our communications team will solicit questions about this to all members. Elyne will research numbers of what was spent for UIUC CAP Award Program in the last 5 years.

 

  1. Unfinished Business – Judy Van Cleeff elected as new representative for district 4.

 

  1. New Business – Question: It was brought up that APs are feeling targeted by their Dean in one of the districts due to reduction of APs and shifting of responsibilities. The recommendation was to contact Sharon or Deb in AHR. If employees are not comfortable talking to colleagues in their own departments they can certainly meet with our APs representatives from CAP in the capacity – just need to make sure CAP reps are familiar with grievance process.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 2:26 p.m. Approved (Kristina Miller), Second (Jenny Ehrnthaller)

August 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, August 3, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary

 

Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Todd Spinner (3), Rick Atterberry (5), Carl Baker (6), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Betal Escobar (7),   Brian Brauer (8), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Richard Stokes (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)

 

Excused Absences: Beth Hall (11), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Mindy Spencer (5), Andrew Reynolds (4)

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:17 PM.

 

  1. Public Comment – 2 visitors; no comments.

 

  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – No corrections to minutes, passed by consensus.

 

  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Campus now has a budget and also implemented a salary program for this year, which is positive news. Jessica Beaudoin is resigning her seat due to a new position in her career (we wish her the best). CAP will need to move forward with nominations for her replacement (district 4). The annual report and revision to the bylaws were completed and transmitted for review and accepted by the chancellor’s office, and the website has been updated with the new version of the bylaws.

 

  1. Announcements – Fire Service Institute is working to add defibrillators to locations around campus, so please reach out to Brian Brauer if you are interested in having one in your buildings.

 

  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller) – The list of volunteers to serve on selection committee is in progress. An e-week reminder will go out on Sunday, and Jeff will send another email reminder on the week of the 14th. If any district is below 2-3 people, Kristina would request an email to be sent by the district representative to the district (the email template will be provided by Kristina). Question: can volunteers be CAP members? CAP discussed that these are opportunities to engage AP members outside of the council, but if not enough volunteers, it was determined that CAP members can serve.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein) – nothing to report since the June meeting was at the President’s house (no additional activities).
    3. AP Senators – There was no senate meeting this summer (the calendar is available online so anyone can view to see when these begin).
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees– No report.
    5. Procedures and Elections (Brian Brauer)
      1. Faculty Senate Committee Elections – During the vote, it was discovered that there were issues with eligibility, so there will be a revote through an online ballot within the next week for CAP members to complete and submit.
    6. Communications (Richard Stokes)
    7. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – No activity and no need for a closed session.
    8. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein) – The committee met on July 12th to focus on scoping out the work of the group with respect to representation of AP members on the faculty senate (currently 7 seats on the committee). CAP would like to see better representation either for more seats or a seat that represents a larger group of APs from a district.  This leads into the notion of redistricting to where potential districts to be represented are equal in size. It was agreed to make informal conversations with faculty members on the senate to engage discussions and get their feedback in this manner. Jeff is looking into targets and wants to approach this in a fair manner (there are certain units on campus that are non-starters and which could turn into a negotiation type process during discussions). Jeff will report back as more progress is made – the committee plans to write a report of recommended next steps, CAP would then review and approve this report. The suggested timeline is as follows: the conversation with senate leadership will take place about ½ way through academic year, and then the rest of the year would be utilized to implement the new policy, and update bylaws. There was a comment about re-asking and not confirming, and the response was that initial conversations are designed to alert the senate that CAP is working to pursue this (and give them a heads up as to not alarm them). There was a concern of pace – not trying to delay the process but with the understanding that it might take some time to implement the process correctly and respectfully with the senate

 

  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. The budget was passed, which is great news.
    2. AP Professional Development Fund – there was a request sent to the Provost Office for any consideration for a revist of these funds (opening for a discussion), but there were no responses as of date.
    3. Elyne was also asked to schedule meetings with a list of invited guests (Chancellor, etc.) waiting on confirmation of these dates.
    4. Benefits updates – with the budget bill that was placed, there is a new SURS bill that will need to be passed for a Tier 3 program update, which will be 2018 or 2019 before it comes available. When this happens, anyone who is in Tier 2 will be able to switch into Tier 3, which is more of a “combination” approach.
    5. Salary Program – all individuals are eligible (not those who were hired past a certain date, or received promotions who were ineligible in the past). There were comments from CAP representatives that APs in their districts are very appreciative of the increase.

 

  1. Unfinished Business – None.

 

  1. New Business – None.

 

  1. Closed Session (called if required) –

 

  1. Adjourned – 1:58 p.m. Approved (Richard Gegg), Second (Kristina Miller).

October 2017 Agenda

Agenda for October 2017 Monthly CAP Meeting
Date: Thursday, October 5, 2017
Time: 1:15 PM
Location: 314A Illini Union

  1. Call to Order
  2. Guest Speaker: Chancellor Robert Jones
  3. Public Comment
  4. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes
  5. Chair’s Remarks
  6. Announcements
  7. Committee Reports
    • CAPE Awards Committee
    • University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee
    • Academic Professional Senators
    • Senate, Campus, and University Committees
    • Procedures and Elections Committee
      1. CAP District Rep Vacancies
    • Communications Committee
    • Grievance Officer
    • Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation
  8. Academic Human Resources Report –  Associate Provost for Human Resources
  9. Unfinished Business
  10. New Business
  11. Closed Session may be called if required
  12. Adjournment