December 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, December 7, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary


Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Leslie Vermillion (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Judy Van Cleeff (4), Mindy Spencer (5), Carl Baker (6), Betoel Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Brian Brauer (8), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Richard Stokes (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)


Excused Absences: Kristina Miller (1), Rick Atterberry (5), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Beth Hall (11)


  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:17 p.m.


  1. Guest Speaker – Gayle Spencer (AP Representative on Provost Search Committee)
    1. Gayle began by thanking the committee (and public) for allowing her the opportunity to represent APs on the search committee. It was a great experience and important for APs to have a voice.  The process lasted 7 months with many meetings.  Gayle felt her perspective was heard by the committee members, but also suggested perhaps that additional AP members on the committee might be beneficial.  The following questions were proposed to Gayle to answer during the meeting (with a caveat that this process is confidential and some detailed information might not be able to be shared):
      1. How much did the candidates know about the AP environment and how APs make a difference to the campus? Gayle felt the candidates had a good sense for this.
      2. What was Gayle’s perspective for mechanisms for gathering feedback about the candidates? All the feedback provided was communicated, shared, and carefully considered by all members of the committee.
  • Did the search committee have a specific focus on candidates? Forums were given in the spring to look for this particular information and this information was given and compiled into the document for the committee.  Visionary yet, process-oriented individual.
  1. Where there any issues that were presented on the AP side. Person represented needs to feel comfortable representing APs and not being afraid to be a voice for issues when needed.
  1. Ending comments – Gayle wanted to stress and very much felt that all voices were heard.


  1. Public Comment – Topic on sexual harassment and request for CAP to get involved. CAP responded with a motion to incorporate a committee to address this serious need and make a difference in this capacity – Committee: Mindy (chair), Rich, Chantelle, Maggie, Tanisha, Rebecca, and Amy.  There was also a comment to including bullying in these discussions.  It was also suggested that CAP look into what resources are already available on campus to aid in this process, which would be through ODEA.
    1. Elyne mentioned that Chancellor Jones has a strong initiative on diversity and earlier created a task force to review Diversity initiatives on campus, which also included Title 9, and this task force has completed this review and made recommendations. Chancellor Jones is in the process of hiring a Vice Chancellor of Diversity to address many of these issues including both sexual harassment and bullying.
      1. More specifically, how do we, CAP, at an intimate level deal with these kinds of problems immediately as they occur. Chancellor Jones has started this process by implementing programs at the campus level to assist, and we as APs need to understand these resources and implement change at the ground level (by becoming “well informed” in this regard).  Nancy Barcelo (Visiting Special Assistant to the Chancellor, – great resource to ask how this request might fit in with what she is doing.
    2. It was also suggested for CAP to invite a guest speaker from ODEA with experience in this area to attend a CAP meeting and continue these discussions and provide guidance on the topic, as the first step to fostering a more in depth conversation on this issue. CAP is considering the dates of January or February or a second special meeting for this event.


  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Approved as amended by consensus.


  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Welcome to Leslie Vermillion, our newest council member representing District 3. Jeff motioned to change public comment to after the Chair’s remarks. Rick Atterberry’s father passed away, so we share our condolences.
    1. President’s Office will be releasing a document called the “University System Guiding Principles” very soon, to which Jeff will be sharing with CAP for review.
    2. Provost Communication 22 – specifically to deal with grievance process and others (committee was formed about 3 years ago).
    3. Bring recently elected Provost Andreas Cangellaris to CAP to address the committee.
    4. Discussion on when would be the best time to have Chancellor visit. It was suggested that we move the Chancellor to a new time given the double schedule with the CAPE awards ceremony already scheduled for April.  The May meeting was suggested for this purpose in conjunction with New CAP Member Orientation.
      1. Jeff will work with Chancellor’s office to get this worked out.


  1. Announcements – none.


  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Jenny Ehrnthaller on behalf of Kristina Miller)
      1. 12 semi-finalists were selected.  The nominators have been notified to gather 3 letters of support for their nominee.  Support letters are not due until Jan 9th.  Committee has until Jan 30th to review and score the letters.  Finalist selection is February 5th.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jenny Ehrnthaller on behalf of Jeff Stein)
      1. Continued discussion on Statewide Council of Councils, along with updates and the process for additional AP representation on the Senate Executive Committee. HR updates included the announcement of a new Academic Professional Leadership Program on campus as well as selected additional topics of 1.) Election in April to fulfill an expiring SURS trustee position for U of I, 2.) Discussion on New Hybrid retirement plan, which creates a new default option under Tier II, and 3.) Overview of State Claim Payment delays as of October 31, 2017.
    3. AP Senators
      1. Senators – discussions around the committee on equal inclusion and opportunity, suburban express – bus service on campus update, and also discussion on the recent naming of the Giess College of Business and how the proper procedure for approving the naming was not followed which caused a debate between administration and faculty senate about what naming and re-naming means. Campus needs to develop and revise a process to which donor confidentially is respected.
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. University Senate Statutes and Procedures Committee – (Wendy Harris)
        1. Proposal SP17.10 on senate processes is being reviewed, and Proposal SP17.12 revision to the statutes on academic freedom is also currently under discussion and a compromise is needed.  Jeff to forward report to CAP.
      2. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
        1. Special Election – Welcome Leslie, District 2 new rep on Ac Senate (Amy), still vacancy on District 6 and District 9.
      3. Communications (Richard Stokes) – No updates, but work is smooth due to great members of the committee.
      4. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – No report.
      5. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
        1. 2 activities – advance the proposal to the senate to add 3 seats for APs, revaluation of our districting of the proposal.
        2. Redistricting – what is the process once it is completed? Check past minutes to see what the process was to implement (2006).
          1. Action Item 1) Review the proposal and send comments be transmitted to Amy so that next meeting we can have a vote to advance as the redistricting plan. Deadline by December 31st..
          2. Action Item 2) Determine procedure for changing district alignments


  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Budget – nothing new to report.
    2. HR – Still addressing the exemption issue within the Civil Service system. Looking for ways to better obligate the campus to follow rules to decide whether a position should be CS or AP.  Seems now we will spend more time on procedures instead of a rule change – better process.  Nothing is resolved yet.  No changes underway to make changes to our staff at this time, but this is still under review.  Elyne also mentioned that we are due for an audit and will keep us informed.
    3. Status of AP Professional Development fund – looking into the process of reimbursements that go to the department upon receiving the award, which is problematic/cumbersome (due to the security of flow of funds from the Provost office).
    4. New Hybrid Plan retirement proposal (through SURS) – new option for Tier II, new employees in this plan will have to contribute a higher amount than current employees. Tier II employees will have the option to a one time move into this plan (Jan 1st 2011, Tier I, everyone hired before this date, Tier II is everyone after this date).


  1. Unfinished Business – None.


  1. New Business
    1. Proposed language changes to AP Relocation Program in CAM


  1. Closed Session (called if required) –


  1. Adjourned – 4:05 p.m.

November 2017 Minutes

Council of Academic Professionals

Thursday, November 2, 2017, Illini Union 314A

Meeting Minutes submitted by Jenny Ehrnthaller, Secretary


Attendees: Richard Gegg (1), Kristina Miller (1), Jenny Ehrnthaller (2), Amy Hovious (2), Maggie Jarvis (3), Andrew Reynolds (4), Judy Van Cleeff (4), Rick Atterberry (5), Mindy Spencer (5), Betoel Escobar (7), Tanisha King-Taylor (7), Brian Brauer (8), Chantelle Thompson (8), Becky Ferrell (9), Elizabeth Rockman (10), Nancy Walsh (10), Beth Hall (11), Jeff Stein (11), Elyne Cole (Ex Officio)


Excused Absences: Carl Baker (6), Elizabeth Wahle (6), Richard Stokes (9)


  1. Call to Order – Chair Jeff Stein called the meeting order at 1:37 p.m.


  1. Guest Speaker – Interim Provost John Wilkin
    1. Opening remarks – prepared to speak to preliminary questions presented to him. Academic Professionals are a significant portion of who we are as a university and wanted to address this to CAP.  APs bring disciplinary expertise to the work that we do as an institution and valued.
    2. Questions:
      1. Budget – Provost’s Coffee session this morning (public session of budget reform process). Paul’s slides at the presentation will be uploaded to the Provost website in the budget section.  Awareness that there will be a shift in costs (healthcare, etc.) and this is the primary motive for the budget reform process.  This process has been in place for some time now, with emphasis on research on other institutions, to come up with the new budget model – for example: IU distributions (50%) to be distributed to units.
        1. There were a number of principles (transparency, understandability) that were laid out by a group/committee – CBATF to further define the model.
        2. Learned a lot around RCM (Responsibility Centered Management) to which is not going to be implemented here at the university – tends to skew things that do not allow the institution to invest in strategic initiatives broadly speaking. The core needs to be strengthened to implement the mission of the university.
        3. Schools/Colleges – need to hire Deans and Department Heads that are privy to the mission of the University. They need to think strategically – “not one size fits all” when it comes to teaching models and enrollments.  Need to give the schools and colleges the resources they need to allow them to strategically grow.  For example, Schools/Colleges do not pay for space – so to reduce costs in sensible ways.
        4. Non-tuition generating units (Beckman, for example) – committees are in place to review costs and rates to insure funding is being spent well.
      2. CAP Questions/Discussion
        1. Provost Communication 22 (AP Performance Reviews) – on CAP we have seen through grievances that often times performance reviews are not consistently given through time and it would be great if this important evaluation system is addressed/structured in a more modern and feasible way – online resources, etc. CAP could also be a resource to APs as needed.
        2. AP vs. Faculty representation within departments and units and how this is defined, along with budgets, which is typically through the UEO.


  1. Public Comment – none.


  1. Review and Approval Previous Month’s Minutes – Spelling changes for council members and a few other minor grammatical changes submitted via email, and Elyne will review minutes due to the details of quest speaker comments – council will review and approve next meeting.


  1. Chair’s Remarks (Jeff Stein) – Inspirational presentation by the Chancellor over the lunch hour meeting. Chancellor touched on the strategic planning process.  CAP communicated a list of 43 APs as suggestions for participation in these four focus groups (4 pillars of strategic plan) – 50 in number across the university as a whole.  Provost search is on-going and hopes to have someone in place by the end of the calendar year.  Faculty Senate Executive Committee (Jeff serves) met with each of the candidates so CAP had voice.  New Interim Vice Chancellor for Research – Susan Martinez


  1. Announcements – none.


  1. Committee Reports:
    1. CAPE Awards Committee (Kristina Miller) – Deadline extended to Friday due to low number of nominations (only 11) – selection committee meets on Monday, so quick turn-around time to review eligibility. As of now, the number has been increased to 31 applications.  Additionally, this year had a self-nomination to which the instructions were not explicitly clear that self-nominations are not accepted.  At this point, the process itself should deselect the candidate from moving forward (as the candidate being the nominator would have to solicit their own recommendation letters).  Suggestion from the public to provide a form letter to a nominee stating they have been nominated – there is a letter that goes out providing this information but not until the finalists are selected.
    2. University Professional Personnel Advisory Committee (UPPAC; Jeff Stein) – Next meeting is a teleconference on Monday (November 6th). Agenda includes discussion on statewide council of councils, which refers to the staff advisory council for Civil Service employees on each of the campuses – planning to have an annual meeting joining these councils, (Urbana has not ever hosted one) and due to this, Urbana will be hosting the one in 2018.  The question is whether or not this will be created for APs.  Deb will be present.  Other agenda item is the definitions of Civil Services positions.
    3. AP Senators – Very brief senate meeting, resolution of support of those who would be impacted by the DACA situation.
    4. Senate, Campus, and University Committees
      1. Faculty Senate Committee Meeting (Rick Atterberry) – brief meeting with an overview of items to be discussed at the next meeting (mascot issues, etc.).
    5. Procedures and Elections (Rebecca Ferrell)
      1. Special Election – Replacement for District 3 representative, Todd Spinner, who has left CAP. Leslie Vermillion was voted as the new representative for District 3.
      2. Faculty Senate Committee – two seats open, district 2 and 6 need representatives. Now in the self-nomination period (running through November 8th) and election will run from November 15-21st.
    6. Communications (Mindy Spencer) – Official public affairs word art for CAP.
    7. Grievance (Tanisha King-Taylor) – No report.
    8. Ad Hoc Committee on Senate Representation (Jeff Stein)
      1. Internal committee has been meeting to discuss how to get districts 4,7,10 included in representation into the senate. Strict wording in senate bylaws that excludes these districts.  Chair of committee is strongly in favor of moving forward with addressing this.  There are also units that are not in any district (CI COM, etc.).  The committee drafted a proposal, which outlines current capacity and then a proposed district layout, with a section addressing the missing districts and the shifting of specific units.  CAP to review the document and comment at next meeting.  Next step would be a proposal to the senate to recommend the changes to the constitution.  Jeff would like to involve the chair of SEC for review also – could be as early as the December meeting (2 weeks to write and submit the document).  The proposal will also go to USSP for review.


  1. AHR Report (Elyne Cole):
    1. Professional Development Fund update – no new news as discussions continue to address the funding status and future status.
    2. Continuing to discuss exemption issue within the civil service system and pursuing a better definition on what an exemption means. Elyne believes there still needs to be much discussion towards a resolution, which is because this is a large group of employees – includes all employees not faculty, civil service, or students.  There is much disagreement on what an exempted position means or should be defined as.  There is no deadline currently.
      1. Question about the SURS buyout and timeframe.
        1. Conversation occurring about the projection of the change in interest rate on the money purchased. In 2014, employees close to retiring were encouraged to look to see if there would be a benefit to retiring due to the change and how this would be an impact.  This is what Elyne believes to be occurring, but a buyout is a different story.  The actuarial table is changing.
      2. Question about GEO negotiations – unfortunately cannot discuss at CAP. Elyne to provide additional information and can contact her office as well.


  1. Unfinished Business – None.


  1. New Business – Discussion about the idea of sharing best practices amongst APs across campus and how CAP can facilitate and provide for this, which includes CAP sponsored brown-bag lunches, in response to questions from units. Coordinated perhaps once a month with very open questions – goal is to get APs together to network and learn best practices.


  1. Closed Session (called if required) –


  1. Adjourned – 3:45 p.m.